Change of release and governance model for Thunderbird

Kai Engert kaie at kuix.de
Mon Jul 9 18:17:02 UTC 2012

On 09.07.2012 19:27, Jeff Grossman wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 9:57 AM, Kai Engert <kaie at kuix.de
> <mailto:kaie at kuix.de>> wrote:
>
> I think the plan is to base the Gecko version on the ESR version of
> Thunderbird.  That means they will not be changing the Gecko version
> unless they release a new ESR, which if I am not mistaken only happens
> about once a year.  While the Firefox developers might change Gecko
> and harm Thunderbird, that should be caught in comm-central which has
> roughly a year to fix until the next ESR release.  I am sure that if
> comm-central breaks, somebody will probably fix it rather quickly.

Not every kind of breakage can automatically be detected by automated
tests. There are areas where nobody had had the time/resources to write
automated tests yet. Especially error reporting is a difficult area,
because you need deliberately broken/misbehaving servers in order to
test the correct application behaviour.

Kai