Change of release and governance model for Thunderbird

Kai Engert kaie at kuix.de
Mon Jul 9 18:13:44 UTC 2012

On 09.07.2012 20:09, Ludovic Hirlimann wrote:
> On 7/9/12 6:57 PM, Kai Engert wrote:
>> The one thing I'm worried about is regressions.
>>
>> Firefox and Thunderbird share application level code that is responsible
>> for the correct functioning of security protocols.
>>
> The best way to catch these would be to add test that cover both usage
> and get run when FF is build; Unit test is the best way to catch these.

Knowing about a regression is important, but is not sufficient. Even
known regressions are sometimes being deliberately ignored (or potential
fixing gets postponed to "unknown"). For example, since Thunderbird 10
we have no error feedback for many protocol errors on SSL/TLS
connections. If there's a problem with a connection to a server, it
simply doesn't work, without user feedback.

Kai