Change of release and governance model for Thunderbird

Kai Engert kaie at kuix.de
Mon Jul 9 11:09:41 PDT 2012

On 09.07.2012 19:44, Ehsan Akhgari wrote:

>> I have a very clear opinion how this should be handled. In my opinion,
>> existing functionality in the core engine should never be removed, if
>> it's currently being used by important projects such as Thunderbird.
>> Instead of removing functionality from the core engine, because it
>> allowed Firefox projects to proceed faster (happened in the past),
>> developer should take care to implement additional features in addition,
>> not as a replacement.
>
> That's not really always an option.  We sometimes clean up parts of
> Gecko, rearchitect other parts and replace yet other parts completely.
> It's not always possible to keep all of the existing code.

We have a third option. We could define that the following part of Jb's
announcement ...

"We have come to the conclusion that continued innovation on Thunderbird
is not the best use of our resources given our ambitious organizational
goals.  The most critical needs for the product are on-going security
and stability for our 20+ millions users, either individuals, SMEs or
large corporate/institutions."

... means something like:

"New messaging features in Thunderbird are no longer a priority for
Mozilla. However, Mozilla believes it is important that Thunderbird
continues to be able to be based on a the most recent and most secure
core Mozilla platform engine. Therefore Mozilla will continue to adjust
Thunderbird to keep it compatible with the code used by Mozilla Firefox
and will adjust Thunderbird as necessary in order to avoid functional
regressions."

(Maybe the original announcement already had this meaning intended, it
would be great to confirm or consider.)

Thanks and Regards
Kai