Change of release and governance model for Thunderbird

Joshua Cranmer pidgeot18 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 17:07:19 UTC 2012

On 7/7/2012 5:39 AM, Jb Piacentino wrote:
> However, Thunderbird is one of the very few truly free and open source
> multi-platform email applications available today and we want to
> defend these values.  We're not "stopping" Thunderbird, but proposing
> we adapt the Thunderbird release and governance model in a way that
> allows both ongoing security and stability maintenance, as well as
> community-driven innovation and development for the product.
>
> We are opening the proposed
> <https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird/Proposal:_New_Release_and_Governance_Model>plan
> for public discussion to individuals and organizations interested in
> maintaining and advancing Thunderbird in the future. We are looking
> for your feedback, comments and suggestions to refine and adapt the
> plan in the best possible way throughout the summer so we can share a
> final plan of action in early September 2012. The tb-planning mailing
> list <https://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/tb-planning> is the preferred
> forum to have this conversation. I look forward to reading you there.

If the goal is to move primarily to community innovation, then I think
there ought to be an explicit roadmap that lays out the changes that we
agree want to be made for Thunderbird, to give contributors guidance as
to what would be most useful to work on?

I also think it would be useful to have some sort of liaison with the
people working on the Gaia email app to explore future possibilities of
sharing code.

--
Joshua Cranmer
News submodule owner