Strategy

Tanstaafl tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Mon Jul 9 10:22:42 UTC 2012

On 2012-07-08 10:16 PM, Ben Bucksch <ben.bucksch at beonex.com> wrote:

<snip>

I agree with all of Ben's points here - and Ben you did a fine job of
outlining all of the reasons why I said I disagreed with Blake's comment
that Thunderbird doesn't fit Mozilla's 'Mission' - but I wanted to add
to just one thing:

>>  1. The effectiveness of the Internet as a public resource depends
>>     upon interoperability (protocols, data formats, content),
>>     innovation and decentralized participation worldwide.

> ~20% of the world's users (and raising quickly) all being on gmail is
> a scary centralization. With centralization, no need for
> interoperability - old story.
>
> Where do you think Thunderbird users will go now? Eudora? No, Gmail.
> Definitely loss here.

Actually, there is at least one alternative - I'm now looking at Claws
Mail... I've played with it in the past.

That said, I *much* prefer Thunderbird (and will keep using it until it
becomes obvious that a change is needed), but I'm also a realist, and am
now actively looking at/for potential alternatives so I won't be caught
with my pants down should this turn out to really be the death of
Thunderbird <shudder>.

Hmmm... I just had a thought...

I can't tell you how many times I've seen question on  the OpenOffice
(now LibreOffice) lists asking about an Outlook 'component' - maybe now
is the time to start discussions with them about some kind of
collaboration under the Document Foundation umbrella? At best,
Thunderbird gets a bit more exposure - at worst, Thunderbird has a home
ready and waiting (and a fighting chance at survival) should Ben's
Conspiracy Theory turn out to be fact.