Strategy

Tanstaafl tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Mon Jul 9 10:09:51 UTC 2012

On 2012-07-08 6:48 PM, Blake Winton <bwinton at mozilla.com> wrote:
> On 08-07-12 16:22 , Ben Bucksch wrote:
>> 2. Email is the most important internet usage and protocol, after the
>> web. More importantly, Email is a standard while Facebook and G+ are a
>> proprietary silos.
>> 3. A desktop email client is completely fitting the Mozilla manifesto.

> Possibly, but it's not a good fit for the mission
> <http://www.mozilla.org/about/mission.html>. (" … to promote openness,
> innovation and opportunity on the web.")

I disagree, I see it as a perfect fit. Email (especially IMAP) is 'on
the web', and Thunderbird is the best damned (desktop) email (especially
IMAP) client around, bar none, for many reasons...

>> We *need* a competitive desktop email client.

> I agree, but I don't think that means that Mozilla needs to be the one
> who provides it.

If this was simply a discussion of whether or not to *start producing*
an email client from scratch, your point would more substance. The fact
is, Thunderbird already exists as a (relatively) stable and mature Email
Client, which makes your comment pretty much without (substance).

> (Also, Mozilla isn't axing it, they're not just pushing innovations down
> the community's throat. If people want to innovate, I'll be more than
> happy to help them get their ideas in, as will the rest of the
> Thunderbird team!)

As I said in my last email, if this means that the core devs will simply
be refocused on *stability* (I'm taking the announcement on its face),
this could be a very good thing for Thunderbird. I'm hopeful, but I'm
also very freaked - because if I'm wrong, then this probably is the end
of Thunderbird, unless some other large Corporate benefactor comes along
and forks it.

Makes me really wish I was independently wealthy, because that is
exactly what I would do.