Strategy

Ben Bucksch ben.bucksch at beonex.com
Mon Jul 9 11:37:42 UTC 2012

On 09.07.2012 12:57, Axel wrote:
> *Privacy: *the argument is tricky as email is necessarily server based

The transfer, yes. Storage, no. For a data thief (whoever it may be, big
or small), it makes a huge difference whether he can access only current
mail or all mail from the last 5 years. All the hacked MSN accounts from
friends that are spamming me are just the most visible proof of that.

> But generally webmail does not allow backing up to local storage (and
> cleaning up on the server without loosing data) so IMO that is the
> biggest drawback.

That's what I meant with integrity and verification, yes.

>> If everybody has webmail, there's not even a reason for the ISP to
>> offer IMAP or POP3.
> there is a trend with ISPs not to offer SMTP servers anymore

Oh? I don't know about that, we have SMTP servers for all the big ISPs
in the world in our ISP database. Which ISPs are you thinking of?

I'm just surprised that this is already starting, but this is fairly
sure to happen once desktop email clients are going down in popularity.
Once this happens, we're in big trouble. To access mail from my mobile,
I'll have to install the app from the provider (while currently I can
use the email application), and Facebook is showing right now what the
results of that will be: Self-service for data shopping, outrageous
privacy violations, and people can only watch and complain, but not do
anything.

(FWIW, Microsoft is pushing their own cloud services, too, so we can't
depend on Outlook.)

> For an average user it is actually hard to find free SMTP alternatives.

If it's free and open to everybody, spammers will jump at it.