Fwd: Re: Change of release and governance model for Thunderbird

Ludovic Hirlimann ludovic at mozilla.com
Mon Jul 9 09:03:06 UTC 2012

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Re: Change of release and governance model for Thunderbird
Date: 	Sun, 8 Jul 2012 20:41:39 +0200
From: 	Patrick Ben Koetter <p at state-of-mind.de>
To: 	tb-enterprise at mozilla.org

* Jeff Grossman <jeff at stikman.com>:
> On 7/8/2012 9:28 AM, Tanstaafl wrote:
> >So, if this means that certain long standing issues – like the
> >buggy HTML editor, buggy IMAP behavior, the new Address Book,
> >maildir vs mbox for local storage, full integration of the
> >Calendar (Lightning extension), as just a few examples – will
> >finally get some much needed attention and may even actually
> >finally be permanently *fixed*, then I say that this is a very
> >*good* thing for Thunderbird.
>
> Actually I am thinking the complete opposite.  I don't see those
> things getting any attention now unless a community member takes it
> on.  The Mozilla staff will have less time than they do today to
> spend on Thunderbird.  Those long standing issues have not gotten
> the time they need today, so I don't see them getting any time in
> the future.  The time they will have to spend on it will be fixing
> issues that stop the program from running.  Any bug fixes and/or new
> features will be up to the community to provide patches for.

I agree. Most bugs or deficits have been brought to attention a long time ago.
Why fix them when you decide not to work on it anymore. My interpretation of
the announcement is:

- We need to gather ressources to do other things.
- We will not provide ressources to improve Thunderbird.
- We will only fix Thunderbird if it is broken.
- If someone wants to work on Thunderbird feel free to do so.

p at rick

--
state of mind ()

http://www.state-of-mind.de

Franziskanerstraße 15      Telefon +49 89 3090 4664
81669 München              Telefax +49 89 3090 4666