Strategy (was: Change of release and governance model for Thunderbird)

Ben Bucksch ben.bucksch at beonex.com
Sun Jul 8 20:22:00 UTC 2012

I can't understand this decision.

1. Mail/news has always been part of Mozilla, since Netscape 2
2. Email is the most important internet usage and protocol, after the
web. More importantly, Email is a standard while Facebook and G+ are a
proprietary silos.
3. A desktop email client is completely fitting the Mozilla manifesto.
4. 20 million people (more than Sweden and Finland combined) are
depending on Thunderbird for their email. Many of them spend many hours
every day with it, it's the second most important application after the
browser. These people are critically depending on Thunderbird for their
work.
5. We need a desktop client to innovate in email. We (e.g. me, by
posting patches) cannot innovate on webmail, because we don't run the
servers -  even if we would make webmail software, still the operator
would have the last word. It's a clear step back.

If we didn't have Thunderbird, we'd need to invent it, or something like
it. It makes no sense to axe it, without direct replacement.

We *need* a competitive desktop email client.

Ben