Mozilla no longer developing Thunderbird

Karsten Düsterloh mnyromyr at tprac.de
Sun Jul 8 17:28:47 UTC 2012

Eric Moore aber hob zu reden an und schrieb:
> 3. SeaMonkey is a community effort hosted by and under the legal
> protection of the Mozilla Foundation, with the SeaMonkey Council
> providing the project leadership. SeaMonkey would seem a better model
> than maintaining the status quo with a fraction of the existing resources.

I (as a member of the SeaMonkey Council) am not quite sure at what you
are suggesting here …

> 5. The proposal doesn't mention the impact on SeaMonkey. My impression
> is they leverage bug fixes and new features developed by Mozilla for
> Thunderbird, and this means they are going to have to divert some of
> their limited resources. Some volunteers such as rsx11m seem to work on
> both projects. Perhaps there needs to be some more explicit coordination
> to help deal with the common lack of resources.

As already mentioned, while we try to embrace TB fixes/features as we
see fit (and have people writing the code), we don't actually depend on
them.

> I suspect many users will interpret the re-focusing of efforts as
> Mozilla abandoning Thunderbird, and will look for alternative email
> clients since they don't perceive the community as providing enough
> development.

That's a likely impression if based upon the Mozillian post, but we
should not jump to conclusion before the actual announcement is out, imo.

Karsten