Change of release and governance model for Thunderbird

Jb Piacentino jb at mozilla.com
Sat Jul 7 02:39:07 PDT 2012

Hi,

Yesterday Mitchell Baker posted on the future of Thunderbird:
http://blog.lizardwrangler.com/
In summary, we've been focusing efforts towards important web and mobile
projects, such as FirefoxOS, while Thunderbird remains a pure
desktop-only email client. We have come to the conclusion that continued
innovation on Thunderbird is not the best use of our resources given our
ambitious organizational goals.  The most critical needs for the product
are on-going security and stability for our 20+millions users, either
individuals, SMEs or large corporate/institutions.

However, Thunderbird is one of the very few truly free and open source
multi-platform email applications available today and we want to defend
these values.  We're not "stopping" Thunderbird, but proposing we adapt
the Thunderbird release and governance model in a way that allows both
ongoing security and stability maintenance, as well as community-driven
innovation and development for the product.

We are opening the proposed
<https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird/Proposal:_New_Release_and_Governance_Model>plan
for public discussion to individuals and organizations interested in
maintaining and advancing Thunderbird in the future. We are looking for
your feedback, comments and suggestions to refine and adapt the plan in
the best possible way throughout the summer so we can share a final plan
of action in early September 2012. The tb-planning mailing list
<https://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/tb-planning> is the preferred forum
to have this conversation. I look forward to reading you there.

Thanks,

Jb