Modifying the contents of a message

Joshua Cranmer pidgeot18 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 20:31:36 UTC 2012

On 1/26/2012 6:55 PM, Unicorn.Consulting wrote:
> On 27/01/2012 1:49 AM, Jonathan Protzenko wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> Ever since I started reading the mozilla.dev.apps.thunderbird and
>> mozilla.dev.extensions newsgroups, a recurring question about
>> Thunderbird has been "how can I modify the contents of a message"
>> from an addon? I recently (less than 7 days ago) replied to this
>> question twice, and my answer was basically:
>> - inject a message in a local folder,
>> - copy it to the destination folder,
>> - remove the old message.
>>
>> I'm not sure there's a better way, but I guess not. My question is:
>> could we make that easier by implementing, say, in C++,
>> nsIMsgFolder::InjectMessageFromStream, making it of course
>> scriptable? The arguments are:
>> - this is something an addon will want to do, and it seems legitimate
>> that they should want to do so,
>> - it's better to provide a function for that than to have someone do
>> it real, real wrong.
>>
>> I'm not very familiar with that area, so I'd be interested in hearing
>> what others have to say on the matter :).
> When I send my signed message to someone, or SMIME message, I would
> like to think that I don't have to produce my copy to prove what I
> sent to the recipient as a matter of course.  If your going to use
> this type thing, and I can understand where editing the subject may be
> valid, I would like to see the digital signature removed by
> Thunderbird if the content is changed.

Given what I have read about multipart/encrypted and multipart/signed,
the top-level message headers are not included in the signature, so it
would be perfectly possible to change the Subject header without needing
a new digital signature. I am not an expert on S/MIME, though, so I
could just as well be wrong.

--
Joshua Cranmer
News submodule owner