Modifying the contents of a message

Unicorn.Consulting unicorn.consulting at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 00:55:57 UTC 2012

On 27/01/2012 1:49 AM, Jonathan Protzenko wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Ever since I started reading the mozilla.dev.apps.thunderbird and
> mozilla.dev.extensions newsgroups, a recurring question about
> Thunderbird has been "how can I modify the contents of a message" from
> an addon? I recently (less than 7 days ago) replied to this question
> twice, and my answer was basically:
> - inject a message in a local folder,
> - copy it to the destination folder,
> - remove the old message.
>
> I'm not sure there's a better way, but I guess not. My question is:
> could we make that easier by implementing, say, in C++,
> nsIMsgFolder::InjectMessageFromStream, making it of course scriptable?
> The arguments are:
> - this is something an addon will want to do, and it seems legitimate
> that they should want to do so,
> - it's better to provide a function for that than to have someone do
> it real, real wrong.
>
> I'm not very familiar with that area, so I'd be interested in hearing
> what others have to say on the matter :).
When I send my signed message to someone, or SMIME message, I would like
to think that I don't have to produce my copy to prove what I sent to
the recipient as a matter of course.  If your going to use this type
thing, and I can understand where editing the subject may be valid, I
would like to see the digital signature removed by Thunderbird if the
content is changed.

Microsoft Outlook, which is the application sited most when people are
asking for this, will not save an existing signed mail without you also
having a digital signature,  I assume it replaces the signature as a
part of the edit.

Certainly there is always the opportunity for a message to be modified
in a text editor, but please lets try and make fraudulent modifications
as hard as possible. As I understand it a digitally signed message is a
legal document in the EU.  Should we be making the modification (without
obvious forensic fingerprinting of the process) a simple process for
add-on authors to execute.

Matt