Modifying the contents of a message

David Bienvenu dbienvenu at mozilla.com
Thu Jan 26 17:17:52 UTC 2012

On 1/26/2012 7:19 AM, Jonathan Protzenko wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Ever since I started reading the mozilla.dev.apps.thunderbird and mozilla.dev.extensions newsgroups, a recurring question about Thunderbird has been "how can I modify the
> contents of a message" from an addon? I recently (less than 7 days ago) replied to this question twice, and my answer was basically:
> - inject a message in a local folder,
> - copy it to the destination folder,
> - remove the old message.
>
> I'm not sure there's a better way, but I guess not. My question is: could we make that easier by implementing, say, in C++, nsIMsgFolder::InjectMessageFromStream, making
> it of course scriptable? The arguments are:
> - this is something an addon will want to do, and it seems legitimate that they should want to do so,
> - it's better to provide a function for that than to have someone do it real, real wrong.
Yes, it would be great to provide an easy way for extensions to do this, because extensions often forget about things like IMAP, and going forward, things like pluggable
stores.

I think JS code to do this would be better than c++ methods. I think there's sufficient mechanisms in the backend to do this already since detach attachment does it, but
additional method(s) would be helpful, we can add them.

- David