Modifying the contents of a message

Jonathan Protzenko jonathan.protzenko at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 15:19:04 UTC 2012

Hi everyone,

Ever since I started reading the mozilla.dev.apps.thunderbird and
mozilla.dev.extensions newsgroups, a recurring question about
Thunderbird has been "how can I modify the contents of a message" from
an addon? I recently (less than 7 days ago) replied to this question
twice, and my answer was basically:
- inject a message in a local folder,
- copy it to the destination folder,
- remove the old message.

I'm not sure there's a better way, but I guess not. My question is:
could we make that easier by implementing, say, in C++,
nsIMsgFolder::InjectMessageFromStream, making it of course scriptable?
The arguments are:
- this is something an addon will want to do, and it seems legitimate
that they should want to do so,
- it's better to provide a function for that than to have someone do it
real, real wrong.

I'm not very familiar with that area, so I'd be interested in hearing
what others have to say on the matter :).

Cheers,

jonathan