Quick Compose (or, I had some time to kill yesterday night)

Jonathan Protzenko jonathan.protzenko at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 11:19:58 UTC 2012

Hi,

I've written a hack that allows Thunderbird Conversation's quick reply
feature to operate in "standalone" mode, effectively providing a
replacement compose window. See
http://jonathan.protzenko.free.fr/shutter/Write..._026.png for a pretty
picture. It can also be opened in a new tab, of course.

http://jonathan.xulforum.org/files/gcv-nightlies/201202191213-master.xpi
is compatible with Thunderbird 11+ and has the feature baked in. The
next release (2.3, which will be out a week before Thunderbird 11 is),
will also have the feature.

The usual limitations apply (no html support, etc.), and I don't even
plan on advertising this. Therefore, it can only be opened with the
Ctrl-Shift-N keyboard shortcut. This is mainly for me because I like
very much having gloda autocomplete for my contacts.

The reason why I'm writing about this anyway is that the Summer of Code
is approaching, and we've been wanting to rewrite the compose window
forever. If a student were to be motivated, they could fork the
codebase, and investigate various points:
- integrating an external editor (http://aloha-editor.org/ seems very,
very promising and impressive),
- designing a good UI for the many options the composition window has
to offer,
- designing a good facebook-style autocomplete widget,
- thinking about how we could design the code in such a way that addons
can easily interact with us.

Many of the most difficult points are handled already:
- attachments, including drag&drop,
- sending the message with the right composition parameters and the
right listeners,
- hooking this up to the gloda contact autocompleter.

Thus, I believe this might make for a good subject.

Have a nice Sunday all,

jonathan