Modern Address Book proposal update

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Fri Feb 17 16:41:52 UTC 2012

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 08:24:48AM -0800, David Bienvenu wrote:
> On 2/17/2012 8:20 AM, Gervase Markham wrote:
> >On 15/02/12 21:50, Advrk Aplmrkt wrote:
> >>https://wiki.mozilla.org/Community:SummerOfCode12:Brainstorming
> >>
> >>Can I propose that the long awaited Thunderbird Address Book overhaul
> >>be proposed for GSoC 2012???
> >
> >Do you think it's something a student could achieve in 8 weeks, including testing, documentation, debugging etc.?
> No, that's not even remotely possible. But we may be able to carve
> out a piece of the work that could be done in 8 weeks. That would
> depend on us (well, mconley) getting the work to a state where there
> was a piece that could be meaningfully carved out by the time SOC
> starts. We would have to be confident that we'll be there before we
> pick students, or have a backup address book task .

FYI - there's talk going on over at the imap5 mailing list about
replacing IMAP, and there's been discussion of including address
book, calendaring and submission in the protocol as well, on the
grounds that the only reasonable way to get interest in a new
protocol is providing a much better integrated experience.

Hopefully by the time GSOC comes around, we will have at least the
underlying plan in place - and I'd love to involve TB in the
discussion.

Bron ( I know we can't solve all the world's problems, but some
       of them would be good! )