Thunderbird Marketplace?

Robert Kaiser KaiRo at KaiRo.at
Thu Aug 30 11:55:52 UTC 2012

[Re-sending to mailing list. Did I say how much I dislike mailing lists
and want everything to be NNTP?]

Axel Grude schrieb:
> Like already mentioned early on today's meeting I would be really
> interested in using Mozilla Marketplace for my Thunderbird extensions.
> to be honest when I heard of Marketplace first I thought this would be a
> monetization (and promoting) platform for _all_ Mozilla extensions, and
> maybe a good opportunity to break into new markets. When I looked at
> Marketplace first it felt much more like something that is specialized
> in mobile apps only, so I am not too sure whether it is relevant.

And you still misunderstood it all in the end. ;-)

The Mozilla Marketplace is about *web apps*, i.e. app done 100% with
HTML and related technologies - running on any device (including
desktop) inside any web renderer supporting the relevant standard.

So, add-ons don't have any space there, we already have the Mozilla
add-ons website that has everything to support those.

Also, because getting up a full cross-platform web app library for
everyone is hard, the Mozilla Marketplace is now starting off as
primarily targeting apps for Firefox OS (as launching a mobile platform
doesn't make any sense when you don't have an apps
library/store/marketplace). That doesn't mean that apps running on the
desktop, on tablets, or other devices other than our initial Firefox OS
phone are not allowed there (in fact we are slowly ramping up an
"install web apps to feel like native" experience on desktop and Android
along with Firefox), but those are no priorities for Marketplace right now.

I think you were mislead by the word "Marketplace". Given that app
collections of everyone else are mostly called "App Stores" and
Mozilla's idea is not a tightly-closed single store but an open market
that isn't even the only place to get apps from, that name came into
place, AFAIK (I'm not on any PR team, I'm just guessing).

In any case, unless what you have is actually a web app, the Mozilla
Marketplace isn't what you are looking for. And unless Thunderbird wants
to present itself as a web app runtime, it's nothing Thunderbird needs
to target.

What you want now and in the future is probably the existing Mozilla
Add-ons website, specifically its Thunderbird section, which is there
and will not go away (AFAIK).

Robert Kaiser