Thunderbird Marketplace?

Leni Mayo mozilla.org at zindus.com
Thu Aug 30 10:06:48 UTC 2012

I'm skeptical that mozilla has what it takes to make marketplaces work.

marketplaces involve a delicate balancing act between three actors - the
platform, the demand side and the supply side.

Mozilla's mission and culture skews it heavily to prioritizing the needs
of end users.  The self-interest incentives around the platform are
pretty strong.  In this context, the tradeoffs necessary to grow and
sustain the supply side seem like a big ask.

I don't mean to downplay AMO here, it is an enormous success.  I'm just
thinking of marketplaces involving money.  I hope history proves me wrong.

For Thunderbird, a subscription model that was integrated with AMO feels
like the way to go.  It all feels pretty hard though when the main game
is playing out elsewhere.

Leni.