Thunderbird new government model: we're gonna help !

Mike Conley mconley at mozilla.com
Mon Aug 27 15:50:02 UTC 2012

>> AFIACT , I didn't seen anything related to what standard the new address
>> book would implement for vcards (or if they'd be supported at all). Do
>> you plan to support v3 fully ?

At the risk of turning this into an address book thread, here's my position:

The design I'm aiming for stores contacts in a format that *should* be
compatible with VCard *4*.

The intermediary format is a JSON structure closely resembling
nsIDOMContactProperties used by the DOM Contacts API -
http://mxr.mozilla.org/comm-central/source/mozilla/dom/interfaces/contacts/nsIDOMContactProperties.idl#46.

The DOM Contacts API specifically states that it's seeking a high-degree
of interoperability with VCard4 and hCard
(https://wiki.mozilla.org/WebAPI/ContactsAPI).

One of VCard4's explicit goals is reasonable backwards compatibility
with VCard3 (https://wiki.mozilla.org/VCard4).

So interfacing with VCard3 will likely be possible with minimal effort.
It's certainly not on the roadmap just yet though - I'm still just
trying to get this thing off of the ground.

-Mike