Thunderbird new government model: we're gonna help !

Michael BAILLY mbailly at linagora.com
Mon Aug 27 12:42:11 UTC 2012

Hello all,

as this is my first post on this list I will briefly describe myself :
I'm a strong opensource advocate and the lead developer of OBM.org Mozilla
Thunderbird connector, an extension allowing, with the help of the lightning
extension, to synchronize contacts & calendars between OBM (an opensource
groupware suite) and Thunderbird.

The Mozilla Foundation made this announcement regarding Thunderbird, and it
asked for a stronger community involvement in this product.

Linagora, my employer, would like to contribute to this new plan, by
giving out
developement resources, on three areas.

First of all, and the most important for us, is the Thunderbird's Lightning
extension. Linagora already hired Philipp Kewisch, the lead-developper of
Lightning.
Plus we got some developers with a strong knowledge of Lightning, who are
going to be more active in Bugzilla, for example, to help with code
reviews and debugging. We also try to bring upstream any code change
we make in lightning to enhance our own product OBM. Philipp helps us
a lot in this respect.

The second module that is important for us is the Address Book. A taskforce
already exists to rewrite the addressbook module. We will begin to follow
more closely this group activity, and contribute if necessary to the
brain-storming and the development of the new AB.

At last, some engineers in our house have good software security skills, so
we may be able to occasionally patch security flaws. will be depending of
the availability of our security guys so we won't be really active
here, but perhaps we can submit patches from time to time.

This is just for you to know what are our main concerns in the Thunderbird
software.

If others have same interests and want to get in touch, don't hesitate to
email me and/or reply to this thread.

Regards,

Michael

---