[gaia e-mail] sanitizing web-bug images?

Mark Banner mbanner at mozilla.com
Thu Aug 16 09:18:44 UTC 2012

On 16/08/2012 02:57, Andrew Sutherland wrote:
> On 08/15/2012 01:42 PM, Joshua Cranmer wrote:
>> Having to do manual sanitization sounds bad in the long term, since
>> it means we constantly have to watch new features to know if they
>> need to be added to a blacklist or a whitelist. What needs to be
>> sanitized that sandboxed iframes can't do? It's probably worth
>> bringing these up in WHATWG.
>
> There was a discussion about strategy here:
> https://groups.google.com/d/topic/mozilla.dev.webapi/wDFM_T9v7Tc/discussion
>

> Particularly interesting is Henri Sivonen's response, given that he
> works on the HTML parser and cleaned up the tree sanitizer:
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mozilla.dev.webapi/wDFM_T9v7Tc/Nr9Df4FUwuwJ
>

> The short answer is that iframe sandboxes aren't really intended to
> prevent information leakage like forbidding remote images from being
> displayed or otherwise filtering content (including nested iframes, I
> think?).  They do pretty well on a lot of other fronts though, as they
> can prevent scripts, prevent forms, and prevent top-level navigation
> of their iframe.  If they gain more CSP-like features, they will be
> even better, and they can always gain other directives.
This probably wouldn't cover everything, but have you also looked at
setting the allow* options on the docShell? That would give you some
pretty-big blocks via content policy like features, although not all of
those would necessarily be suited to what you need (e.g. allowImages
would obviously disable local and remote images).

Mark.