[gaia e-mail] sanitizing web-bug images?

Mark Banner mbanner at mozilla.com
Thu Aug 16 09:12:46 UTC 2012

On 16/08/2012 03:22, Andrew Sutherland wrote:
> I may have given the impression that I'm trying to fight the privacy
> battle more than I am.  Trying to distil the issue further, I think my
> question is perhaps:
>
> It's clear that 1x1 images are just web-bugs that are wasted network
> traffic and a waste of screen real estate to prompt for. Is it worth
> the immediate UX and network benefit now of just nuking these with the
> knowledge that this could result in those senders making things worse
> for the user by simply including a larger graphic as a web bug?
Do you have any knowledge or suspicion of how many emails are sent with
just a single web bug image, and no other remote images?

Purely, in my email history, I've only ever known this once where we had
it with getsatisfication at one stage, and we convinced them that it was
a bad idea due to UX and privacy, and convinced them to remove it.

If we think it is widespread, then it may be worth attacking more,
otherwise I'm not so sure - I could see them easily changing to
different sizes (1x2!) very quickly if the realised that's what we're doing.

Mark