[gaia e-mail] sanitizing web-bug images?

Andrew Sutherland asutherland at asutherland.org
Wed Aug 15 20:34:39 UTC 2012

On 08/15/2012 12:52 PM, Irving Reid wrote:
> Now on one level I deplore the practice, and I wish Mozilla would step
> up to publicly challenging the privacy implications of commercial
> emailers knowing when and where we read the email they send us.
> Unfortunately, we still need to provide our users with a decent
> experience, and for the time being that includes allowing them to view
> HTML email with images rendered. Sound and JS still should be blocked
> in my opinion.

To be clear, I'm not proposing making it impossible to view embedded
images or external images in e-mails.  Both of those are totally
supported.  I am proposing automatically removing self-identified 1
pixel by 1 pixel external images since they are unlikely to be anything
other than web bugs and can add confusion since we will prompt the user
if they want to show that external image (which may be the only image).

Andrew