Extension Categories Review

Axel axel.grude at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 14 17:27:51 UTC 2012

>> In general, this new list seems _really_ long, and I'm not sure that having this
>> many choices will help users find the add-ons they want.  Now, on to more concrete
>> suggestions.  ;)
> I have been missing categories rather than thinking there are too many, not only
> when developing addons but also when searching for them. We should keep in mind
> though that the developer can only choose 2 categories, so if there are addons which
> might fit into more than two, we either need to up the limit or condense the categories.

>>> Do those two really need to be separate?
>> Not sure - maybe they could be put together - they are currently separate, so it
>> might cause a stir among Addons-authors?
> I would also rather think that Folders Management, Message Reading, Message
> Composing and News Reading is a very similar category and could be collapsed. I was
> thinking maybe "News & Message processing", but that may be too close to filters.
> Maybe just call it "Message Display and Editing", since News also consists of
> "messages". I think this is especially important due to what I said in the beginning.
Hmm, Folders is not just about reading but also about composing, sorting, archiving,
there is a whole bunch of stuff that is folder centric. If you look at the sheer
volume of Folder-related extensions, the need for a separate category is more apparent
- there are several pages of extensions dealing with the folder tree, sorting emails
to folders, etc. For the power users, they will probably look at the folder tree and
ask what can I do to tame (or feed) this monster? They wouldn't necessarily think of
Message Processing or Display & Editing. I believe Filters is in a similar bracket (as
it primary task is usually about re-distributing mails into folders).

Also Composing and Reading Mail are 2 very different actions, for the user, so I think
there is big merit for the user if he can choose between these. Composing is the
"unloved child" from Firefox, and needs innovation badly.

Plus, like the OP said, Fx has 15 categories, and we are down to 11 already.

> Contacts should stay a separate category.

>>> Isn't this part of Message Composing?
>> Not sure, probably yes - however there is at least one that let's you edit headers
>> of existing messages. There are extensions that specialize in that sort of thing
>> and it may be sufficiently complex to warrant its own category?
> I would very much appreciate a category for calendaring things. My suggestion would
> be to call it "Calendaring & Time Management", I think this covers both the
> calendaring aspect and the date/time related addons. Aside from Lightning being in
> this category, it would be very useful if you are looking for an extension to
> Lightning. Right now I have to stick them into General.
Yes, see my latest list at

https://etherpad.mozilla.org/tb-amo-category-improvements

where there are 11 "must have" items, with lots of example addons and 5 items that
didn't "make the list", including Tags / Chat / Search and Browsing. They simply
weren't terribly important for mails or didn't have that many extensions to choose from.