Extension Categories Review

Axel axel.grude at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 14 16:10:12 UTC 2012

Hello Joshua,

thanks for the input!  I have revised the list on the Etherpad, narrowing it down to
11 items:

  * Contacts {google contact, morefunction for address book, funambol}

  * Message & News Reading {Conversations, Image Zoom, LookOut, Foxy Proxy, Compact
    Header, DispMUA)

  * Folders & Filters {QuickFolders, FiltaQuilla, Quick Folder Move, Quick Filer,
    Folder Flags, Copy Sent to Current, Mail Summaries} [As regards Filters vs.
    Search, Filters are actually actions mainly designed to modify messages or their
    locations]

  * Message Composition {highlight text, signature-switch, shrunked image resizer,
    Stationery, smartTemplate4}

  * Calendaring & Time{Lightning, FoxClocks, Sun Cult, Google calendar provider,
    ThunderBirthDay} [I think this /should /include anything that involves displaying
    time / calendar related stuff like timers / alarm clocks / moon phases etc.]

  * Dictionaries & Language support{ Quick Translator, Quick Locale Switcher, Zombie
    Keys, Dictionary Switcher }

  * Backup & Archiving{ ... are there a few examples for this?? }

  * Import / Export {Password Exporter, Message Filter Import/Export, accountex,
    ImportExportTools}

  * Privacy & Security{Password Exporter, EnigMail, Master Password+,..}

  * Appearance& Customization [could include addons that configure themes]

  * Miscellaneus

And here are the ones that are probably not going to make it (I personally would like
to keep the first 2):

  * Tags {TaQuilla, Tag Toolbar, Tb Conversations, Tags Toolbar }[I meant mail tags /
    labels. Again, there are very few extensions,so this might not be important as a
    category]

  * Chat & IM[this is going to be more important in the future, but  there are not
    many extensions right now]

  * Signatures & Headers[dropped => Composition and Reading]

  * Browsing[(Web browsing) IMO this is unimportant from the mail users view?]

  * Search Tools  [there are not all that many addons dealing with this in tb, and a
    lot is built in]