Extension Categories Review

Joshua Cranmer pidgeot18 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 15:44:21 UTC 2012

On 8/14/2012 8:33 AM, Axel Grude wrote:

>     Proposed new List
>
>   * Contacts
>   * Folders Management

For clarity: are you talking about managing 10k messages in a folder
here, or managing 10k folders?

>   * Message composing

Message Composition is probably a better name.

>   * Message Reading
>   * News Reading

I would combine these two for sure. The distinction isn't that great (I
believe the original intent was to separate NNTP-centric addons from
mail-centric, but particularly the fact that RSS was at one point
exposed in the UI as "News and Feeds" means that "News" is a very poor
name for classification).

>   * Calendar & Date / Time related add-ons

Very wordy title. "Calendar" or "Calendaring" is probably better, since
I don't think there's a lot of value in pulling some pure
date/time-related addons into the same category of what is effectively
addons to Lightning.

>   * Signatures & Headers

This strikes me as two very different things smashed into one category,
and I don't think it's entirely clear from a user perspective what would
go in here. "Signature" is overloaded to mean both S/MIME-esque
signatures as well as that little thing at the bottom of every email,
while I don't know how prevalent "headers" is in use in the sense that
it exists for email. If you look at things from a workflow perspective,
very likely everything here would go into message composing or message
reading anyways, so having a specific section for them isn't very useful.

>   * Filters
>   * Search Tools

Filtering and search go hand-in-hand; I don't think there's a lot of
reason to separate the two out

>   * Tags

Which kind of tags? Tags in the calendar? address book? folder tags?
tags as folders? tags on messages? Too much ambiguity here, and I don't
think it usefully breaks up any components.

>   * Chat & IM
>   * Dictionaries & Language support
>   * Backup & Archiving
>   * Privacy and Security
>     <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/extensions/privacy-and-security/>
>   * Toolbars
>   * Appearance

Appearance is a vague term, but I'm not quickly finding anything better.
I'm not certain there's any gain from splitting out Toolbars from
appearance, especially if we can come up for a name for Appearance that
would capture its intent better (AIUI, any UI feature that's not
directly controlled by or controlling anything explicitly called out here).

>   * Developer Tools

I'm divided here. There is/will be definitely a sizeable set of tools to
include in here if we port a lot of the current devtools work to
Thunderbird. On the other hand, I am not sure making this an explicit
category is any more beneficial than publishing an add-on collection (or
set of collections) for things like "this is useful for debugging
Thunderbird!"

>   * Folder pane customisation

Customizing the folder pane is nothing more than another way to manage a
lot of folders/accounts.

>   * Browsing

Browsing what? Considering that web browsing is not a core feature of
Thunderbird, I'm not sure there's value from separating from miscellaneous.

>   * Miscellaneus

Keep in mind that we do have search functionality for addons, and we can
build collections where it makes sense. With that in mind, it is
probably better to have very broad categories instead of narrow definitions.

--
Joshua Cranmer
News submodule owner