Extension Categories Review

Axel axel.grude at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 14 15:25:16 UTC 2012

> Agreed that this list is too long!
>
> I would have separate the categories among the task that we perform with Thunderbird:
>
>   * Contact (google contact, morefunction for address book, funambol, ...)
>  *
>
>     Folders Management I don't seewe have so much add-on in this category

Strongly disagree!

I think maybe we should combine Filters & folders into one Category. To me they are
very important as my main extensions (and 80% of my own mail management) revolves
around them :) Case in point - if you do a search on "Folder" you get 159 results.

Just to give a few examples for folder / filter centric extensions:

  * Filters & Folders Management (QuickFolders, Sort Folders, Folder Columns,
    quickFilters, Smart Folders, Folder Filters, Quick Folder Move, Filter Subfolders,
    Run Filters on Folder button, FiltaQuilla, Folder Selection (Thunderbird), Folder
    Flags, Color Folders, Folder Pane Tools, LocalFolder, Quick Filer, Filter Of
    Filters, Message Filter Import/Export....)

So I believe Folders and their management are _very_ important within Thunderbird (ymmv).

>  *
>

>   * Message composing (hightlight text, signature-switch, Stationery,...)
>   * Message, News and blog Reading (Conversations, ...)
>  *
>
>     News Reading(see above)
>
>   * Calendar (Lighting, Google calendar provider, ,...ThunderBirthDay)
>  *
>
>     Signatures & Headers
>
>   * Miscellaneus (including filter, tags, backup, and browsing)
>   * Appearance (including toolbar and folderpane customization)
>   * Chat & IM (not sur if this couldn't land in Miscellaneus as well...)
>   * Dictionaries & Language support
>   * Privacy and Security
>     <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/extensions/privacy-and-security/>
>  *
>
>     Developer Tools (I am quite sure that our developer have other source of
>     informations if they need to know how to make a Thunderbird add-on)

maybe you are right, there are a few addons that are written for this purpose (DOMi,
console2, JS Debugger, Extension Test..) but maybe not enough to warrant a category,
so these could go into the Misc. Category.

Axel