Extension Categories Review

Axel axel.grude at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 14 14:30:48 UTC 2012

> My thoughts...
>
> In general, this new list seems _really_ long, and I'm not sure that having this
> many choices will help users find the add-ons they want.  Now, on to more concrete
> suggestions.  ;)
>
> On 14-08-12 8:33 , Axel Grude wrote:
>> Proposed new List
>>
>>   * Contacts
>>   * Folders Management
>>   * Message composing
>>   * Message Reading
>>   * News Reading
>>
> Do those two really need to be separate?
Not sure - maybe they could be put together - they are currently separate, so it might
cause a stir among Addons-authors?

>>   * Calendar & Date / Time related add-ons
>>   * Signatures & Headers
>>
> Isn't this part of Message Composing?
Not sure, probably yes - however there is at least one that let's you edit headers of
existing messages. There are extensions that specialize in that sort of thing and it
may be sufficiently complex to warrant its own category?

>>   * Filters
>>   * Search Tools
>>   * Tags
>>
> Filters and Search Tools seems similar enough to be grouped together.  Maybe Tags,
> too, but I'm not sure what sort of addons would be in the Tags category...
Ok, (A) Filters & Search Tools sounds like a good thing; (B) tag toolbars for one. I
believe tags will become increasingly important, but I might well be out of touch :)
Scrap that one?

>>   * Chat & IM
>>   * Dictionaries & Language support
>>   * Backup & Archiving
>>   * Privacy and Security
>>     <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/extensions/privacy-and-security/>
>>   * Toolbars
>>   * Appearance
>>   * Folder pane customisation
>>
> I think people will expect Toolbars and Folder Pane Customization to be part of
> Appearance.
True, so let's scrap that one. I included it because somebody else suggested it.

>>   * Developer Tools
>>   * Browsing
>>   * Miscellaneus

Looking for more feedback from the planning list before doing the edits...

PS: would it be helpful if I added 1 or 2 examples for each?

Axel