Proposed Release Plan changes

Ben Bucksch ben.bucksch at beonex.com
Thu Aug 9 10:43:07 UTC 2012

On 09.08.2012 08:25, Magnus Melin wrote:
> If we absolutely can't do full rapid releases, I'd still propose we
> have those releases as some kind of blessed builds (hey, even
> nightlies auto-update!), but make more noise about the ESR-based
> releases. From a community engagement perspective it's indeed very bad
> if the time until your contribution is live grows further.

That sounds like a good idea.

I think most users what ESR - in fact they want it even slower than
current ESR.
Some other geek users want the latest and greatest. They currently get
that with the rapid releases, so they use the releases - which is why we
don't find regressions until we have released, as Ludo said.
Essentially, our releases are the betas, which isn't good. So, if we
switch to ESR-based releases as Mark proposed, then make "betas" based
on the rapid releases, and have the nightlies based on m-c for
developers and the really brave users/testers, then we should cover most
bases and get good testing coverage. (This is assuming that making a
beta release isn't much work, because there's very little QA involved.)