Proposed Release Plan changes

Ludovic Hirlimann lhirlimann at mozilla.com
Thu Aug 9 05:21:39 UTC 2012

On 8/9/12 1:41 AM, Joshua Cranmer wrote:

[snip]
> In short, the questions I want answered ar
> e the following (I'm assuming that the intended landing of features is
> on c-c, not c-r):
> 1. What are the perceived pros and cons by not adopting the rapid
> release model?

That's what we currently have. We struggle to deliver things in that
model, when reducing staff to do it struggle will be higher - so quality
will decrease. It seems our suers are ok not getting releases and
updates every 6 weeks and don't mind waiting a bit longer for new features.

> 2. Under this model, who decides what gets ported to ESR-based release?
> 3. Under this model, who actually ports the features to ESR-based release?
> 4. Is it expected that most changes (commits other than those
> necessary to fix m-c-induced issues) will get ported to ESR-based release?
That's how I understand it.
> 5. Under this model, what would happen if a highly-valued feature
> arose that relied on a change in Gecko since the last ESR?
I think it would need to wait to land for the Next major release of
Thunderbird (like it did in the past).

Ludo

--
@lhirlimann on twitter