Papercuts: status and a top 10 list from the wiki

Ludovic Hirlimann lhirlimann at mozilla.com
Wed Aug 8 11:35:34 UTC 2012

On 7/30/12 9:20 PM, Kent James wrote:
> On 7/30/2012 7:11 AM, Mike Conley wrote:
>> Thanks Kent, for doing this.
>>

>>> So there you have it, my top 10 list! I will be championing these bugs,
>>> and I urge others (in the spirit of cooperation with the project and
>>> the
>>> community) to also champion these bugs in the short run.
>>>

>> Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the plan that each committed
>> papercut-fixer was going to get 5 bugs to work on and complete in < 1
>> year?
>
> Yes, but ...
>
> 1) We don't really have a viable process yet to choose "official"
> papercut bugs. The first attempt using a wiki is awkward, yet I wanted
> to take what I could to do a start to an "official" papercuts list so
> that we could get started. We have awhile to fill in with additional
> bugs.
>
> 2) With future TB 17 ESR now in comm-central, this is a critical time
> for all of us to push bugs that we know need to be landed, while the
> papercuts bug timescale is a little longer.
>
> 3) It is really important to me that we effectively engage with the
> broader Thunderbird community to get key issues identified, brought to
> the attention of developers, and solved. We need to figure out a way
> to get the key contributors in BMO and GS engaged in this. Some are,
> but there are some noticable gaps.
>
> So this list is a compromise between "let's get going" and "leave some
> room for additional bugs with a better process".
Since I work full time for Thunderbird , we've been building lists of
bugs, and list of bugs. The list are interesting when they are new and
hot. But after a little while they tend to linger and people forget
them. So In terms of process I think building list is nice for the next
3 months after the list have been built - on the long run they don't
really work. I'm pleased to see so much activity patch wise in bugzilla
- it's a good refreshing change - I'm a bit worried that it will slow
down in a few months - but hey let's enjoy all those bugs being fixed.

Something I've been battling for a while and that we haven't talked
about (or if we did I missed it) is building a short term, a mid-term
and a long-term roadmap. We had no roadmaps since 3.0 and I think this
might have damaged the project and people willing to invest time in it.
I think we should try to build a roadmap post 17 release.

Ludo

--
@lhirlimann on twitter