Fwd: Re: Papercuts remixed - the bug list

Jesse Thompson jesse.thompson at doit.wisc.edu
Tue Aug 7 15:04:00 UTC 2012

On 8/7/12 3:34 AM, Ludovic Hirlimann wrote:
> On 7/13/12 5:09 PM, Joshua Cranmer wrote:

Assume that the vast majority of people will never actually contribute.
The Hacker News audience, for example.  But it may still be wise to
cater to them.  If you engage those users, a certain small percentage of
them will later become more involved. Additionally, the more you give
users the feeling that they are being listened to, the more good will
Thunderbird will gain.

   - Those people won't look at Bugzilla, nor will they post to a
mailing list or IRC.  How about using something like mobrater.com to let
them voice their opinions.  The results of that type of poll can then be
translated to bugzilla by someone who is familiar with the project.

For users who want to go beyond voicing opinions to actually
contributing something, maybe even work on a patch for an easy-looking
paper cut, what do they do?  From the standpoint of someone who isn't
already an experienced contributor, the papercuts page has no advice.
Maybe you could add the "Development and Testing Links" section that is
on https://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird/.  Ideally, that thing
should be placed on every Thunderbird development wiki page, since
people rarely visit through the front door.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Jesse