Open Badges program for Thunderbird contributors

Ludovic Hirlimann ludovic at mozilla.com
Tue Aug 7 09:05:26 UTC 2012

On 7/27/12 1:37 AM, Anne-Marie Bourcier wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In the spring, the Mozilla Foundation launched the "Open Badges"
> program (http://openbadges.org/). The intention of Open Badges is to
> provide a standardized open framework that enables organizations to
> issue digital "badges" that recognize skills or achievements.
>
> The Thunderbird team thought it would be great to implement an Open
> Badges program for Thunderbird contributors. We started brainstorming
> about how we could implement the program and talking with the very
> helpful and enthusiastic Foundation folks who work on the project.
>
> However, now that we are changing Thunderbird's governance model, we
> need to find out if the Thunderbird community thinks it is worthwhile
> to implement Thunderbird Badges and if the community is able and
> willing to run the program for themselves in the long term. If the
> community likes the idea and wants to move ahead, we will do all the
> preparation and set up the technical aspects and then hand the program
> over to the community in the fall.
>
> To run the program, the community would have to implement some kind of
> process where contributions in various areas were tracked and
> significant contributions were forwarded to a person who generated the
> badges. The badge program would require an ongoing commitment, because
> it wouldn't be fair if badges were only issued to a few people and
> then the program was dropped. Also, the criteria for issuing badges
> must be clear so that the process is not open to favoritism.
>
> A summary of our thinking about how to implement badges follows
> (however keep in mind that the community is welcome to alter as they
> see fit):
>
> A badge rewards a demonstration of competency, not a degree of
> contribution. A badge isn't a reward for effort; it's a validation of
> a demonstrable skill.
>
> Given that model, the Thunderbird Community could implement badges for
> these kinds of things:
>
> - Thunderbird Core Contributor Badge: People who contribute a
> significant patch to the Thunderbird core, thus demonstrating a
> competency in programming.
>
> - Thunderbird Add-on Developer Badge: People who create a Thunderbird
> add-on that is accepted by AMO, thus demonstrating a competency in
> programming.
>
> - Thunderbird Knowledge Base Author Badge: People who create a
> Thunderbird Knowledge Base article that uses a set of the more complex
> formatting tools (templates, tables, images, etc), thus demonstrating
> a competency in authoring on a wiki platform and technical writing.
>
> - Thunderbird Support Contributor Badge: for people solving questions
> (reward based on number of answers or technical accuracy)
>
> - Thunderbird Ambassador Badge: People who create something
> significant outside the normal venues for contribution. For example, a
> Thunderbird contributor recently wrote a P2PU course and supporting
> [...]
These seems to be very web based - would be nice to find a great way to
have them integrate with email.

I like the idea of recognizing once involvement in the project. What's
missing above , is who decides to give badges ? But I think once we've
figured out some TB dev, that should be an easy question.

Ludo

--
@lhirlimann on twitter

my photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/lhirlimann/collections/