TB End Users survey - do not distribute

Ludovic Hirlimann ludovic at mozilla.com
Tue Aug 7 09:02:55 UTC 2012

On 7/24/12 12:00 AM, Patrick Ben Koetter wrote:
> * Kent James <kent at caspia.com>:
> Our customers would have been willing to pay for Thunderbird licenses
> if it had had serious enterprise features or if it had helped to get
> them. Inquiries on funding sadly found no response. Given current
> official statements and the absence of replies regarding questions
> about TBs future two years from now it will not take long before they
> will turn away and go look for an alternative desktop client they can
> invest in. I have first hand information that a web client is not an
> alternative for reasons I have posted in a previous message.

What I never understood about those corporate users willing to pay for
Thunderbird licence is why they didn't create something along the lines
of
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groupement_d%27int%C3%A9r%C3%AAt_%C3%A9conomique>
which would employ Thunderbird Dev and would fix the issues. Currently
the issue seems that integrator will patch Tb for some usage but won't
upstream them; I think we should try to leverage upstreaming in order to
have everyone benefit from various company paying various integrators to
patch TB for their needs. How can we achieve that I have no clue - ideas
welcomed.

Ludo

--
@lhirlimann on twitter