A way for users to donate $ to support TB innovation

Ludovic Hirlimann ludovic at mozilla.com
Tue Aug 7 08:32:55 UTC 2012

On 7/13/12 10:17 AM, Gervase Markham wrote:
> On 12/07/12 19:23, Paul Morris wrote:
>> A number of the commenters on the "stability and community innovation"
>> blog post indicated a desire to donate $ to support continued innovation
>> in TB.  (I am one of them.)   But now that donating to Mozilla is no
>> longer a way to do that...
> Let's not assume that too quickly.
>
> In the past, Mozilla has held funds for its projects and made grants. If
> there is demand, it is quite possible that JB or others could make the
> necessary internal arrangements so this could happen again.
>
>> Maybe this is a role that Mozilla (or the Document Foundation? or
>> Ubuntu/Canonical? or...?) would be interested in playing -- setting up a
>> channel to accept donations for TB innovation, and then distributing
>> that to community dev-contributors in some kind of basically equitable
>> way based on their relative contributions, however that is determined
>> and carried out.
> I think targetted grants is probably a better way to go.

An easy way to do that would be to sponsor students working on
Thunderbird during the summer as a plus on top of the ones that would be
sponsored by GSOC.

On 7/13/12 4:17 PM, Paul Morris wrote:

> I think there are TB users who would like to show their support for
> continued TB development by the community, particularly in the wake of
> the recent news, but also as an ongoing thing. So it would be good to
> provide them a way to do that, whethera dedicated "TB community
> development" fund or something else.
>
> -Paul
I'm pretty sure I know a few individuals interested by that - but
setting up something that would make it viable to pays staffers would
probably be difficult.

Ludo

--
@lhirlimann on twitter