Adding instant messaging features to Thunderbird

Irving Reid irving at mozilla.com
Thu Sep 29 14:59:43 UTC 2011

On 11-09-29 9:36 AM, Florian Quèze wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 08:56, Martin Jungowski<martin at rhm.de>  wrote:
> Out of curiosity, does this mean you also disable web access? (there
> are lots of IM services accessible from the web, including websites
> that act as gateways to other IM services)
> Isn't giving people clear indications of what they are expected to do
> or not to do in their work environment more efficient than forcefully
> disabling features?

It is very common (at least in the North American enterprises I'm
familiar with) to filter all employee web access, mostly to control
"objectionable content". Specific blocking of instant messaging and
social networks is still widespread, though it is slowly going down.

> In some cases, setting up a private IM server may also be an option to
> consider: answering a question via IM is usually less interrupting
> than having to pickup a ringing phone.
>
>> * Needs archiving
>>   Some countries, such as most of the European Union for example, have
>>   very strict laws about archiving all business-relevant documents.
>
> I agree this is important to consider.

HP, for example, ran a private Jabber service that was (and maybe still
is) widely used inside the company. This seems to me a good solution to
both information leak and regulatory archiving concerns. In fact, the
company had a policy that local logging must be *off* on clients
connecting to the internal Jabber server, so that all saved copies of
messages would be handled under the company's data retention policy.
This is important for dealing with legal discovery requests.

Of course, that runs counter to our "let the users control their own IM
content" idea that partly underlies this conversation...

  - irving -