Adding instant messaging features to Thunderbird

Florian Quèze florian at mozilla.com
Thu Sep 29 13:36:40 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 08:56, Martin Jungowski <martin at rhm.de> wrote:

> * Needs a possibility to get disabled globally for all users.

Users (or administrators) would have to explicitly configure
Thunderbird to use instant messaging, like they explicitly need to
configure their email accounts.

>  Not all corporations will be happy about an instant messenger for
>  their employees. Infact, most would probably want to disable it to
>  dispose of this distraction.

Avoiding pointless distraction and interruptions is definitely
important for people using Thunderbird in a work context.

>  An email client with instant messaging
>  features that cannot be disabled would force us to choose a different
>  one.

Out of curiosity, does this mean you also disable web access? (there
are lots of IM services accessible from the web, including websites
that act as gateways to other IM services)
Isn't giving people clear indications of what they are expected to do
or not to do in their work environment more efficient than forcefully
disabling features?

In some cases, setting up a private IM server may also be an option to
consider: answering a question via IM is usually less interrupting
than having to pickup a ringing phone.

> * Needs archiving
>  Some countries, such as most of the European Union for example, have
>  very strict laws about archiving all business-relevant documents.

I agree this is important to consider.

> These two would be my two biggest concerns. [...]
> Don't let this discourage you though, every new
> feature is welcome and will certainly help boost its popularity.

Thanks for sharing your concerns; don't worry, your feedback is
definitely welcome, not discouraging. ;)

--
Florian Quèze