Adding instant messaging features to Thunderbird

Florian Quèze florian at mozilla.com
Wed Sep 28 15:32:57 UTC 2011

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 21:03, Kent James <kent at caspia.com> wrote:

> From my perspective, there is not much point in adding new protocols to
> Thunderbird unless those protocols allow users to leverage all of the
> existing features of Thunderbird into a unified presentation of information.
> These include features such as tagging, filtering, virtual search folders
> combining information from multiple accounts, archiving of messages, unified
> address book, global search, etc.

I think we agree on the importance of a good integration with the
existing features and UI. :-)

> I would be interested myself in seeing experiments in trying to implement
> instant messaging as a Thunderbird account type, to see where synergies
> might exist. I would suspect that for the most common uses of instant
> messaging, people would not get that much value out of combining the two.

I suspect there's a lot of possible value for the integration when
both means of communication are used to communicate with the same
people.
For someone using email (almost) only for work and IM only for
personal communication, I afraid we can't add much value.

> I can see that archiving of IM conversations (and I am
> thinking here of IRC conversations on irc.mozilla.org) could have some
> value.

I think creating a searchable archive that the user can refer to later
is likely valuable.
Well, maybe not for all kinds of IM communications, but
irc.mozilla.org is a typical example of IM discussions where decisions
are often taken or explained.

> But I would much rather that someone else attempted that, as I cannot be the
> only proponent of this approach.

I'll probably start trying soon. The experience you already have can
be helpful, so I'll probably have some more technical questions to ask
you later.

Thanks for your contribution to this discussion!

--
Florian Quèze