Large Files Attachments in Thunderbird

Joshua Cranmer Pidgeot18 at verizon.net
Wed Sep 28 14:00:59 UTC 2011

On 9/28/2011 5:09 AM, Jb Piacentino wrote:
> Hi,
>
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Features/Thunderbird/BigFiles now describes a
> feature to help managing Large Files attachments. This features should
> be of interest both to consumer & enterprise.
> As always, your comments on the value of the feature and any other
> inputs are more than welcome !

In terms of standards, this would roughly equate to
message/external-body support (with some automation to upload to a
hosting site) -- see RFC 2046 §5.2.3. I believe libmime already has some
support for message/external-body.

Another possible implementation would be to fully support
message/partial (RFC 2046 §5.2.2). I have heard that Outlook supports
this already, but some recent searching appears to indicate that some
MTAs may be blocking it for "security" reasons.

--
Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald E. Knuth