thunderbird release cycle

Kent James kent at caspia.com
Mon Sep 26 18:37:02 UTC 2011

The wait for Thunderbird/non-FF addon reviews is currently at 6 days,
which also needs to be factored into any timing decisions. (I review
most addons of that type, and I keep the TB wait several days shorter
than the FF wait).

For my own addons, I've been experimenting with a cycle of updates every
six weeks, starting a few days after the release bump. New Account Types
is my prototype for this process, because it in a binary addon, and
requires an admin review that my take longer than a normal review. The
most recent New Account Types from a few weeks ago supported versions 6,
7, and 8. I will start in a few days doing any updates required for
version 9, and preparing a release supporting version 7, 8, and 9. I
really think that this is the process that will be needed for serious
addons, as you would like for your addon to also work for beta users of
Thunderbird, which will be upgraded to version 8 soon.

So you really need to have November 8, 2011 on your calendar (the next
release bump date) and plan any addon updates you need around that date.

I have been trying to get the TB team to cooperate with this addon
release cycle. That is, I will need for TB 9.* to be an allowed maximum
version soon after the release bump. I see that 8.* is now allowed, but
that status was not available when I updated New Account Types a few
weeks ago.

I don't make any claims that this is an easy or even reasonable
expectation of part-time addon authors.