thunderbird release cycle

Steffen Wilberg steffen.wilberg at web.de
Mon Sep 26 13:27:20 UTC 2011

Hi Leni,

releases happen every 6 weeks, this shouldn't be a surprise anymore.
See https://wiki.mozilla.org/RapidRelease/Calendar

I'd recommend using either Earlybird (equivalent to Firefox Aurora) or
Beta. If you use Earlybird, the development (in the "central" phase) is
pretty much finished, and you still have 12 weeks, i.e. almost 3 months,
until release.

You don't have to upload a new version of your addon to AMO if nothing
has to be changed except the maxVersion in its install.rdf; you can bump
the maxVersion through the administrator interface of AMO.

For Firefox, this bump happens automatically if the addon passes an
automatic test, which looks for the use of interfaces which have changed
in the upcoming release. This should happen or is at least planned for
Thunderbird as well, but I don't know what the current status is.

Steffen