https://wiki.mozilla.org/Features/Thunderbird/Modern_Address_Book

Ben Bucksch ben.bucksch at beonex.com
Thu Sep 22 01:33:42 UTC 2011

On 21.09.2011 13:55, Jonathan Protzenko wrote:
> On Wed 21 Sep 2011 12:36:25 PM CEST, Ben Bucksch wrote:
>>   * Native vcard and SyncML support (very very important, must-have,
>>     don't ignore mobile phones any longer)
> I thought SyncML was for plugging your phone into your computer and
> syncing over USB.

Funambol uses SyncML to sync over the air. Similarly other projects IIRC
like evolution sync and others.

The Funambol Thunderbird plugin was basically just a SyncML client, I read.

> I sync my contacts by using Google Contacts as my central server.

Yes. And Google knows all your contacts. That's no-go for me, and
precisely what I want to avoid, for privacy reasons.

Of course Google has an interest in pushing you this way, but we need to
*actively* counter this (see Mozilla manifesto). Otherwise we could all
just use GMail and close the Thunderbird project :).