https://wiki.mozilla.org/Features/Thunderbird/Modern_Address_Book

Andreas Nilsson nisses.mail at home.se
Fri Sep 16 01:32:49 UTC 2011

On 2011-09-08 17:02, Mike Conley wrote:

> So my idea is to allow the address book to know about "content
> providers", and to allow syncing across those providers.  Whether or
> not that provider is Google Contacts, LDAP, Plaxo, your OSX address
> book, Sync, etc.
>
> It's a bit tricky, since the fields that these providers support don't
> always map 1-to-1, but my vision is that you'd add a contact to
> Thunderbird, and, with your permission, it'd appear in your GMail
> contacts...your OSX address book...your iPhone/Android/B2G phone via Sync.
Perhaps a second best option would be to go for some kind of
lowest-common-detonator?
Say it at least syncs the Name, E-mail and phone number, always
something. :)

Just for reference and inspiration, here is the wiki page for the new
GNOME address book (front end) that Alexander Larsson and Allan Day
recently implemented for the upcoming version. The wiki page have some
screenshots of other systems address books UI's as well.
https://live.gnome.org/Design/Apps/Contacts
- Andreas