https://wiki.mozilla.org/Features/Thunderbird/Modern_Address_Book

Mike Conley mconley at mozilla.com
Thu Sep 8 15:02:13 UTC 2011

Hey all,

 > sorry mike don't really want to start a discussion on your blog :-)

No worries. :)

 > Getting the data out and synched to other places where I would need
 > it (ie my phone and my webmails) is a pain.

Yes, absolutely.  I haven't heard of anybody who *likes* to enter
contact information.  All of the anecdotal data I've gathered so far
suggests that people want to do it once, and not think about it again.
They just want it to be current, and ubiquitous (while remaining in
their total control).

So my idea is to allow the address book to know about "content
providers", and to allow syncing across those providers.  Whether or not
that provider is Google Contacts, LDAP, Plaxo, your OSX address book,
Sync, etc.

It's a bit tricky, since the fields that these providers support don't
always map 1-to-1, but my vision is that you'd add a contact to
Thunderbird, and, with your permission, it'd appear in your GMail
contacts...your OSX address book...your iPhone/Android/B2G phone via Sync.

 > The only use I currently have for the address book are :
 >     Autocomplete with contacts I have emailed in the past
 >    LDAP usage so I can find contacts in the company I work for

I imagine you're not alone in that regard.  My plan won't alter this
functionality.

 > I think what Mike was saying there was that if you don't use the
 > Address Book, nothing should change in the contact applictions you do
 > use…

So I've come across several instances where Thunderbird users didn't
even notice that an address book existed.  They'd never clicked on the
address book button, had never created a contact, etc.  Their primary
interaction with the address book is via the auto-complete mechanism.  I
don't want to make those users do any extra work to continue on with
their lives - so my point was, if/when we upgrade the address book, it
shouldn't cause any pain for people who don't use the address book (or,
like Blake said, use some alternative).  If anything, it should become
easier.

Anyhow, I'll see if I can make the wording on the feature page more clear.

Thanks for your feedback!  Let me know where else I wasn't clear.

-Mike