Data storage for remote content whitelist

Irving Reid irving at mozilla.com
Tue Sep 6 20:34:59 UTC 2011

I've been speaking to Blake (bwinton) and Mark (standard8) about bug
457296, moving the "load remote content" white list out of the address
book and into a separate place. This is the list of addresses for which
the end user has clicked "always load remote content for messages from
<email-address>".

Mark suggested that I open a discussion on tb-planning about how to
store the data; for the time being it's going to be a simple table of
display names and email addresses.

We don't currently have much data on how end users are using this list,
how many entries it typically contains etc. We should probably add this
to test-pilot or whatever other user activity gathering tool would be
most appropriate.

That said, we don't want to create another Mork database to hold this
list, so I'm looking for some architectural direction about what to use.
My first thoughts turned to sqlite, since that's what we're using for
Gloda. It could also be done with a simple text format (JSON, perhaps),
slurped into memory on first use and appended or rewritten for updates;
this would be fine unless a user had many thousands of whitelist entries.

Are there any other alternatives I should consider? The impression I get
from others is that Mork and RDF are on their way out. The profile
currently contains sqlite, RDF, xml, Mork, json, .js (prefs), .txt and
.dat files (containing name=value text entries).

--
  - irving -