Modern Address Book mock-ups...

Mike Conley mconley at mozilla.com
Fri Oct 28 13:48:41 UTC 2011

Hey Patrick, Ben:

 >> I believe in Mike's idea you'd be able to apply multiple tags, so you
 >> could apply both the "work" tag and the "Customer A" tag, doesn't that
 >> allow for what you're asking for? (Correct me if I'm wrong, and if I
 >> am...maybe it's an idea that should be considered?)

Yes, you can assign a contact into multiple groups, like "work" and
"Customer A".  You could also create a tag called "work/Customer A", and
use that as a sort of home-brew hierarchy.

> Browsable is that I see a small list that I can easily process with my small mind,
 > and then click on something, and then drill down further.
> Or, right now, I have a list "Private", "Customers", "Mozilla", and "Foo" on the left, because that's my address books. If the list contains "Auswaertiges Amt, Customers, Deutsche Bank, Google, Mozilla, Private, Siemens, Sixt, StarRadio, TomTom, Work", and a few dozen other groups, it's not that easy to click "Private" in a split-second. I need 1-2 seconds to find "Private" in there, maybe I even have to scroll, and that's too long.

So switching to the mechanism of tags doesn't necessarily mean that a
user cannot define some hierarchy, for example:

Customers
Customers/Google
Customers/Siemens
Foo
Foo/Work
Foo/Work/TomTom
Mozilla
Private
Private/Auswaertiges Amt
Private/Sixt

I wonder if perhaps the contact group dropdown, the widget used to
quickly select a contact group, could detect such a power-user
hierarchy, and then organize it into an unfolding tree.  Or, perhaps an
add-on could provide that functionality, for power users like yourself.

But I'm just not convinced that such complexity in hierarchy is required
for most users here.  I'm open to argument, though. :)

-Mike