Address book sync (was: Modern Address Book mock-ups...)

Ben Bucksch ben.bucksch at beonex.com
Thu Oct 27 16:14:26 UTC 2011

On 27.10.2011 17:29, Mike Conley wrote:
> Exporting might be tricky.  We wouldn't be exporting connections to
> sources - it'd just be the raw fields / field types.  We run the risk
> of exporting fields that the output formats don't recognize (for
> example, the relationship field / links that Ben Bucksch suggested).
> I believe VCard is somewhat extendable, but I'm unsure about the other
> formats.

Funambol Sync has been excellent syncing my TB AB with Android, via
SyncML HTTP server (no bluetooth involved). I have all the fields from
the TB AB on my Android, including all phone numbers, custom fields (!)
and notes. I haven't lacked anything yet.

(Only problem is that Funambol TB plugin broke with TB 5.0. Serious
problem for me.)

For sync, it's important to allow the syncing software to write some
custom, hidden fields, e.g. ID of card in the foreign source, date of
last sync, or hash, or similar.

Ben