Modern Address Book mock-ups...

Mike Conley mconley at mozilla.com
Thu Oct 27 15:29:54 UTC 2011

Hey Ludo:

I imagine that importing one or more contacts would be similar to
connecting to a new contact source / provider (I've been calling them
sources lately...forgive me for the nomenclature flip-flop).

The user would import contacts (VCards, LDIFs, Eudora, CSV, more...),
and TB would try to merge them with the contacts that we already have.

The only difference with importing, is that the fields are not connected
with the source (which in this case would be some file somewhere).

Exporting might be tricky.  We wouldn't be exporting connections to
sources - it'd just be the raw fields / field types.  We run the risk of
exporting fields that the output formats don't recognize (for example,
the relationship field / links that Ben Bucksch suggested).  I believe
VCard is somewhat extendable, but I'm unsure about the other formats.

-Mike