Modern Address Book mock-ups...

Wayne Mery (vn) vseerror at Lehigh.EDU
Thu Oct 27 15:27:09 UTC 2011

On 10/27/2011 11:06 AM, Mike Conley wrote:
> David:
>  > How do ldap and native address books fit into this UI, now that we don't
>  > have a 3-pane UI? Do you imagine a UI for showing you all contacts with
>  > a given tag? Would that be a filter?
>
> So the way that Blake and I were discussing this, was that the search
> input above the contact list would be a combobox - so by clicking on the
> down-arrow next to the search input, you'd see a list of your contact
> groups (including groups for your LDAP and native address books).
> Choosing those groups would show you the contacts that are associated
> with those sources.
>
> And in essence, yes, it's just a search for a particular tag - "show me
> all of the contacts with the Innatech LDAP Server tag".
>
> That's how I've been thinking of it anyhow,

Along these lines...

The search box has "name of contact or group". But I often want to:
- search on email address,
- on company (which might not be in the person's email address), or
- on some free form text ... that I currently store in the contact's
display name (not an optimal choice BTW), for example "TB XP" to denote
user of thunderbird on XP

How might this search need be accommodated from the main UI?  Not a
separate advanced search dialog please :)